Sunday, April 24, 2011

Personal Marketing Package

The personal marketing package is something I have struggled with consistently since the first time we had to put together a portfolio a few years ago. I find myself going from one design to the next without being able to commit to one without finding another I like better and changing. It seems something akin to designing a house for oneself. God forbid you ever move into it, you would never stop the critique! The only resume I have shown to an employer was one that I put together for my internship interview at CBI, and it was very unimpressive across the board. It was very plain and very simple in design. To be honest they barely even looked at it.

From doing this exercise I resolved some of my ideas about what a portfolio should be. I tend to think that the graphic design should be very good and catchy, yet the mechanical and physical personification of it should be as simple as possible. I don't know what most employers feel about portfolio design... from what I have learned thus far, the job search is something akin to dating... there are no hard and fast rules to go on. However, my limited experience has shown me that very little of a portfolio is actually viewed since the conversation in relation to the portfolio ought to take center stage.

For the same purposes as the first assignment, I think this is also an assignment that should have successive iterative submissions. This way all the kinks can be ironed out, all the edges filed down so to speak.

No comments: